Public speaking tips
Here are some tips to improve your public speaking tips:
- Committing your speech to memory is a fine idea, until the moment you suffer a mental block and lose your spot. Instead, jot down the main points on cue cards.
- Speed kills so slow down. A sure of killing a good speech is going too quickly. Timing is everything. Pause at the spots where you want people to laugh or reflect. If you want to get a true idea of the speed of your speech, record it on tape.
- The moment you walk up to the podium, you are being sized-up by the audience. Act confidently even if you are not. Stand upright, and look relaxed. Practice doing just this.
- Look at the audience and move your head around the room as you talk. Project your voice to the back of the room. When you make reference to people, look in their direction to give a sense of inclusion.
- Don’t worry bout any hecklers, just go with the flow. Any laughs that result from a heckler will be credited to you in any case
- Finally, never apologise for anything. You are doing the best you can and should not have to say sorry for that. Weddings are forgiving environments and everyone understands the intent and the purpose of speeches and will clap you warmly for this alone.
- Don’t forget that your wedding photographer will be photographing you during your speech. You know what to do!– back to Home-